Jimmy’s Palm Tavern
446 E. 47th St.
The Palm Tavern was established in 1933 by James “Genial Jim” Knight. In 1956 Knight transferred ownership to Geraldine “Mama Gerri” Oliver, who operated the business until the City of Chicago closed it using the power of eminent domain in July 3, 2001. According to Chicago Tribune art critic Howard Reich, “It would be difficult to overestimate the room’s role in nurturing black musical culture in Chicago and beyond. This was the place where ideas were exchanged, tunes discussed and collaborations conceived.” The room played host during its nearly seven decades to Duke Ellington, James Brown, Count Basie, Dizzy Gillespie, Quincy Jones, Willie Dixon and Muddy Waters.