Hialeah Park

2200 E 4th Avenue

Hialeah Park, which is known for its horse racing, covers about 40 square blocks in central Hialeah. Originally opened in 1921 by Glenn Curtiss and James Bright, it is one of the oldest recreational facilities that still exists in the area. On January 15, 1925, Miami Jockey club began horse races at the park, sometimes also known as Hialeah Race Track. The long history of the park includes some notable horses such as Seabiscuit, who made his debut in the park in 1935. On March 5, 1979, it was added to the US National Register of Historic Places. In the early 2000s, some issues arose about the legality of horse racing on site, but since 2009, Hialeah Park has once again been running races.



Marion Post Wolcott Photographed Horse Races at Hialeah Park

Marion Post Wolcott photographed horse racing and the public at Hialeah Park in 1939 as part of her work with the FSA.

1 Related Artists