Pembroke College, Brown University
172 Meeting Street
While the Women’s College affiliated with Brown University was first operational in 1891, it took another six years before the school would grant women students a physical space associated with the campus, known as Pembroke Hall. Erected in 1897, Pembroke Hall was the first of a number of buildings that would serve as the heart of Pembroke College until 1971, when Brown University would include women students in the broader student body.
–written by Lydia Kelow-Bennett
Image Source (Top): Providence Public Library - Pembroke, Brown University, Postcard Collection -