The Church of the Holy Name of Jesus
99 Camp St.
The Church of the Holy Name of Jesus is a Roman Catholic Church, originally instituted to serve approximately 500 families on Providence’s East Side. The 1st Mass was offered there by Father James Brennan on November 12, 1882, and a year later the building was completed. As the community experienced rapid growth, Holy Name expanded into another, larger building that was completed in 1900. Holy Name prides itself on its music ministry, particularly their Gospel Choir that was created to maintain ties to the African-American roots of much of their community members. The name “Holy Name” comes from the Latin, Et sanctum Nomen Ejus, meaning “and Holy is His Name”.
Front sign at current location for the Church of the Holy Name of Jesus
Image Source: Stewart Signsphotograph
Image Source (Top): - Stewart Signs - 2014